Our world is constantly changing. We are facing numerous challenges such as climate change, demands for fair trade, mass migration and the need to change from non-renewable to renewable sources of energy.
Year 8 Geography - The Restless Earth
Geography Department Open Night - 28th January.
Year 11 Geography Field Work
Within Geography lessons in Glengormley High School and through educational visits we will discuss, research and analyze these issues throughout all year groups.
Geography covers a wide and fascinating range of topics at KS3 including Our restless earth, Ecosystems, Crime, Global Fashion, Close up on China etc.
Pupils learn a wide range of skills which help them progress to GCSE.
Geography Key Stage 3 Revision Topics
Year 8 (75 marks)
- Mapskills – grid references / distance / direction / symbols / connections
- Rivers – drainage basin / transportation and erosion processes / landforms
- Settlement – choosing a settlement / key terms / Brazil and Belfast
- The Restless Earth – structure of the Earth / plates /earthquakes / living in danger zones
Year 9 (75 marks)
- Ecosystems – key terms / food chains / rainforests
- Coasts – key terms / erosion / transportation / deposition / landforms / coastal management techniques
- Population – Key terms / Demographic Transition Model / France pro-natal policy
- Weather – weather instruments / anticyclones and depressions
Year 10 (75 marks)
- Tourism – definitions /Uk / Benidorm / Gambia / sustainability
- Globalisation and Development – Nike /TNC’s / globalisation advantages and disadvantages / development indicators
- China – physical Geography of China / one child policy
- Conflict – key terms / impacts of conflict Kosovo / Northern Ireland
Each exam will last for 1 hour and will include four sections.
Geography is a popular choice with topics covering both Physical (rivers, coasts and tectonics) and Human Geography (Population, Urban environments and Tourism)
Leisure and Tourism is also offered at GCSE. This course covers destinations in the UK and abroad and involves a 60% project based on Belfast.
Geography covers a range of topics including Population, Health issues, Rivers and coasts at AS. Then at A2 World cities, Plate tectonics and Conflict issues.
Travel and tourism is offered at A level and covers destination Europe and Customer service as well as Special interest holidays and Responsible tourism.
Mr. G. Coey - Teacher in charge of Geography
Mrs. K Annett