Our world is constantly changing. We are facing numerous challenges such as climate change, demands for fair trade, mass migration and the need to change from non-renewable to renewable sources of energy.
Within Geography lessons in Glengormley High School and through educational visits we will discuss, research and analyze these issues throughout all year groups.
Geography covers a wide and fascinating range of topics at KS3 including Our restless earth, Ecosystems, Crime, Global Fashion, Close up on China etc.
Pupils learn a wide range of skills which help them progress to GCSE.
- Restless Earth
- Where in the UK?
- Weather and Climate
- Where in Europe?
- Global Fashin
- Where in the World?
Geography is a popular choice with topics covering both Physical (rivers, coasts and tectonics) and Human Geography (Population, Urban environments and Tourism)
Paper 1 – 35%
- The challenge of natural hazards
- The living world
- The physical landscapes
Paper 2 – 35%
- Urban challenges
- The changing economic world
- The challenge of resource management
Paper 3 – 30%
GCSE Leisure, Travel and Tourism
Leisure, Travel and Tourism is also offered at GCSE. This course covers destinations in the UK and abroad.
The course consists of;
Paper 1 – 40%
Understanding the leisure, travel and tourism industry
Paper 2 – 40%
Promoting and sustaining the leisure, travel and tourism industry
Controlled Assessment – 20%
Working in the leisure, travel and tourism industry
A Level Geography
Geography covers a range of topics including Population, Health issues, Rivers and coasts at AS. Then at A2 World cities, Plate tectonics and Conflict issues. The modules covered include;
- AS – unit 1 – Changing landscapes (24%)
- AS – unit 2 – Changing places (16%)
- A2 – unit 3 – Global systems and governance (24%)
- A2 – unit 4 – Contemporary themes in Geography (16%)
- A2 – unit 5 – Independent investigation (20%)
BTEC – Travel and Tourism (A-Level equivalent)
This is offered as well as a traditional Geography A level, the course covers;
- Unit 1 – Investigating the Travel and Tourism sector
- Unit 2 – The business of Travel and Tourism
- Unit 3 – The UK as a destination
- Unit 4 – Customer service
- Unit 6 – Preparing for employment in Travel and Tourism
- Unit 8 – Long-haul travel destinations
Careers in Geography
Name the exact location and win a prize. Open to pupils and parents.
Answers on a slip of paper and give them to Mr Coey or Mrs Annett.
Mr. G. Coey
Mrs. K. Annett