Today we had a special guest in school – Elvis the Elk the mascot of the Ulster Elks basketball team. Elvis met our wonderful Year 8 pupils to promote our school and the Belfast Basketball Classic in the SSE arena.
As a school we are supporting the San Francisco Dons as they play in the tournament.
100 lucky pupils from Year 8 to Year 12 with the most positive behaviour points will attend the Basketball Classic in November.
On Thursday the 25th of October we held our annual Presentation of Awards. This year the ceremony was held in The Theatre at the Mill and our guest speaker was Ross Wilson. Ross is a former pupil of the school, an internationally acclaimed artist, one of our school houses is named in his honour. Altogether it was very enjoyable evening as we celebrated the greatest asset of Glengormley High School our wonderful pupils.
Congratulations to all those who received awards and many thanks to Ross Wilson for his speech and distributing the awards. Here are some of the photos taken during the event – look for some familiar faces.
Well that’s a wrap! Have a great holiday and if you have an exam in November do some revision. We start back on Monday the 5th of November to a week 1 timetable. Keep safe and relax – we all will!
Year 8 spent some form time this week carving pumpkins. A competition was then held to see who had the best pumpkin.
Our annual Presentation of Awards ceremony is to be held at 7.30pm on Thursday 25th October 2018 in the Theatre at the Mill. This year’s special guest will be Ross Wilson (Artist and past pupil). He will present the special awards and afterwards address the students, staff and parents. This is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate our pupil’s achievements and we are delighted to welcome parents and their guests to the the event.
The Year 9 Pupils of the Month celebrated their achievement with a Smoothie break time event. The invitation enabled them to bring along a friend.
At Glengormley High We pride ourselves in offering a wide range of extra curricular activities for all our pupils.
- Fitness Club – yr 11-14 4pm-7.30pm – fitness suite
- Art Club- Senior – 3.30-5pm
- Dance – yr 8-14 – 3.30-4.30pm – gym
- After school study – yr 11-12 3.45-4.30pm – 14g
- Boys football – yr 9-10 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Boys football – yr 12-14 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Choir – yr8-14 – lunchtime – 15g
- Art Club- Senior – 3.30-5pm<
- Adrenaline (scripture union) – junior school – lunch – 20g
- Uplift performing arts lessons- yr8-12 llunchtime – drama theatre
- Fitness club – yr 11-14 – 3.30-7.30pm – fitness suite
- Cookery Club – yr8-14 – 3.30-4.30pm – HE
- Boys football – yr 8 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Netball – yr8-9 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Art Club – Junior School – 3.30-5pm
- After school study – yr 11-12 – 3.45-4.30 -14g
- Rugby – yr 8-9 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Boys football – yr 11 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Science shack – yr8-10 – 3.30-4.30pm 39g
- Adrenaline (scripture union) – senior school – lunch – 20g
- Girls Hockey – Yr8-10 – 3.30-4.30pm
- Art Club- Senior – 3.30-5pm
- Auditions / rehearsal for theatre at the mill – 2.35-3.15pm – drama theatre
- Netball – yr10 –lunctime – Assembly hall
Bronze / Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award – Days / Times announced throughout the year
Glengormley High School students were overjoyed as they reaped the fruit of their hard labour. Showing a 62% increase on last years figure alone, the proportion of children achieving 5 or more GCSEs at grades A*-C is now at the highest level since 2010. The percentage of pupils achieving 5 or more GCSEs at grade A*-C (including English and Maths) has increased on last year by 43%, the highest level since 2009.
It was a glorious morning of smiles and congratulations with 99% of Glengormley High School pupils being awarded grades in at least 5 GCSEs. School Principal, Mr Massey commented
‘the hard work and commitment from both pupils and staff has paid off. Not only has today been a great day in the office for results, but our new offering of 23 A Level subjects (all delivered in-house) has realised a massive Sixth Year enrolment – the largest since 2011’.
Some notable subject performances this year include Further Maths with 89% of pupils achieving A*-C, Art and Design with 83% of pupils achieving A*-C, Performing Arts with 93% of pupils achieving A*-C, English with 70% of pupils achieving A*-C and ICT with 79% of pupils achieving A*-C.
With Glengormley High School having just been awarded the status of a Pivotal Behaviour School, things are looking exciting for September.
Pupils enjoying a game of French Boules during their lunch break. Guess who the champion is?
If any pupil in YEARS 8-11 & 6th form are interested in the ski trip next year please collect a letter from Miss Dowds in room 12F from Mon 4th June. It will be first come first served, so collect your letter ASAP.
If any parents have any queries please contact Mrs Handley.
See pictures below of the fun we had this year on the Ski Trip to Bulgaria!