This is the latest Family support Newsletter – It has some great advice to help you at the moment. If you are in Year 12 and Sixth Form there is information about free courses that are being offered by Prince’s Trust – They are really worth a look.
Today we celebrate the 75th anniversary VE Day – check out this resource below which has a number of activities to get involved with.
Hi All – This is an interesting read for our parents. The document has some good advice for managing our pupils at home and promoting positive learning and approaches to home study.
Scanning Pens Trial Available
Scanning Pens is a leading supplier of Assistive Technology with offices in the US, UK, Australia, India and Canada. Thousands of children use the ReaderPen every day of the week in schools and at home. For many years Scanning Pen has provided free trials to schools, but now for the first time ever Scanning Pens is delighted to offer a free 14 day trial of the Award Winning ReaderPen to parents.
Pupils and Parents
Find attached a list of resources which are really useful for your emotional well being. This resource, produced by Action for Children could be really useful during this difficult time.
There are a range of really useful apps that can be downloaded and used to support pupils with difficulty in Maths. This can include pupils with dyscalculia or numeracy difficulties.
Click the link to access the resource – Apps for learners with dyscalculia/numeracy difficulties
There are a range of apps available to assist with pupils are dyslexia and reading difficulties – check this link for information on the apps available
All schools have now been informed of the process by which CCEA will award GCSE and A Level grades this summer. Below is a summary of the key points from the documentation received, along with links to detailed guidance for your information.
The Senior Leadership Team, the exams and assessment team, the pastoral staff, Heads of Department and subject teachers will now embark on the process of working through this guidance, and the guidance from OFQUAL, in order to produce the centre assessment grades and rank orders required by the exam boards. The school has the information required to complete this process. Please note that we cannot share the centre assessment grade or the rank order with parents, pupils or anyone outside of the centre other than the relevant exam board.
We appreciate that this is a very challenging time for exam candidates and for their parents. Please be assured that our aim is to secure an outcome that is a fair and accurate reflection of the academic ability of all of our pupils.
I hope that you and your family are all keeping well.
A summary of the key points:
- Schools will submit a centre assessment grade for each student. This will be a holistic professional judgement, based on existing records and available evidence, to produce a grade that each student is most likely to have achieved if they had sat their exams and internally assessed components.
- Schools will also be asked to rank pupils within each grade in each subject.
- The school cannot share the centre assessment grade or the rank order with pupils, parents or any other individual outside of the centre.
- CCEA will determine the final grade to be awarded.
- AS grades will be awarded in the summer but will not count towards the final A-Level grade. Final examinations taken in May and June 2021 will determine a pupil’s overall A-Level result.
- Pupils currently in L6 can also choose to sit AS examinations in summer 2021 alongside their A-Level examinations, either to improve their AS grade or to count towards their A level grade.
- For pupils in Year 11 currently taking GCSE modules, no grades will be awarded, however, they may be able sit exams in those modules in the autumn of 2020 or spring of 2021.
- Results will be issued in August as usual (13th August AS and A Level, 20th August GCSE).
- A robust appeals process will be put in place.
- Students who feel that their grades from this summer do not reflect their ability will be able to sit examinations at the next available opportunity. If they choose to do this, the higher grade will stand.
- Student, Teacher and Parent information: https://ccea.org.uk/downloads/docs/ccea-asset/Examinations/Guidance%20document%20for%20Student%2C%20Parents%20and%20Teachers_4.pdf
- Message to Students and Families:
We are certainly living in a different time, a strange unfamiliar time.
Coronavirus is affecting all of our lives, and lots of changes are going to have to be made to help us cope. We know we’re all in this together.
During this time we have an activity here you might find interesting as a way of recording this historic time we are living through. Click the link